Thursday, August 18, 2011
I have a simple question...
Today at work a co-worker made the statement aloud about studies revealing that women who embark on lifestyle changes--specifically healthy lifestyle changes usually slump back into their old habits because of a man.
PUMP BRAKES STOP WATCH ME HAVE A CONNIPTION.
Now when I heard this "study's" results I smiled and bit down on my lip in order to not respond to it. Just the day in front, I was having a conversation with a friend healthy lifestyles and the reason for beginning them. I often wondered about why persons do in fact embark on a new lifestyle. Is it based solely on pleasing someone else? Their needs? Or is it for YOU to in fact feel good about yourself? To feel healthy? Is your success hinged only on the acceptance or approval of others?
Back to my co-worker. I knew he read it out especially because I was there. Let me just say this or at least ask you this.
Why do you want to be healthy?
Let me tell you my reason. If you go through a few of my blogs, my answer is stated there plain and simple. I did it because I had to do it. Because I was TIRED OF BEING FAT. I was told recently and today again, that size is not the determinant of your life span. Yes whilst I am aware. Let me say this. If I can prolong my life by not throwing crap into my body THEN I WILL DO IT. If something else that is out of my control happens, then know that I would have tried--Really Tried.
In this fast paced, technologically advanced, impersonal world we have become lazy. Point blank. We have a highly stressed lifestyle, which may involve school, work, parenting. We thrive on the drive to get ahead. Many of us are staying in school longer--you all have heard these many reasons why our world is changing--I hate cliche arguments--so let me move on. Our world has in fact changed and our bodies tell that story. Illness can attack us at any stage, yes this is true. But why should I become a contributing factor?
We make excuses for everything. Many of us do. I myself use to be like that. There comes a time when we must be honest-face facts and try to do something about it. For those parents who neglect themselves as their children are developing, my mother's solution was to drag us to the gym with her. From 12 years old I was a member of the gym. It taught me discipline, coordination and control. Plus I got to spend quality time with my sister and my mother. Include your children in your activities if you can! My mother got her workout and we got our requisite physical activity. My sister and I lost weight, we were energetic, more alert in class and we learnt the importance of time management too. When gym's hour was over, it was straight to the books, shower, bed.
Whether we have to go a drastic route or small steps-baby steps. Ask yourself however, why am I doing this? Do I feel as though I need to improve my lifestyle? Are you tired of being the way you are?
My friend always said "Kim one day you will get fed up enough to do something about your weight" She was right. I kept doing what I wanted until I got fed up. Weight issues are personal. They affect every aspect of our lives, whether you realise it or not. Things begin to fall into place when you correct certain over hanging negatives in your life.
So before you embark on any journey. Stop and ask who am I doing this for? Is it for my own personal development? Or am I only motivated because I believe it can be beneficial to someone else.
My answer to my work colleague who read that article?
My success or future on this program is a purely selfish one. Whomever comes into my life or is in my life has/will understand that this is about me. Whilst their opinions may matter especially if I go overboard, my health is of extreme importance.
"I love my women thick" has nothing to do with me. Would you rather watch me eat myself to death? Or be around to live and have fun and share this life together?
*no pic this time folks*
KKA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment