Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Zumba!!!


Persons have been asking what physical activity I do.  Now let me just make this declaration I HATE A GYM.

Maybe I think too much...I usually end up wondering why am I here?  What is this aerobics crap I am doing....I  am BORED.

Most of my life I have been active.  From netball (gasp yes I was a great Goal keeper excusez moi), to ball room dancing (I have trophies from my competitions), to modern dancing, african dancing and a bit of jazz, and liturgical dancing a bit and of course my baby--VOLLEYBALL!!  Yes darn it I worked hard for that team.  The point is I have always loved doing some form of physical activity which I found challenging or at least entertaining.  It pains me however to do an aerobics class well if there is good music it might make me stay.  Or come in and run on a treadmill.  However I had to find something to do to help with my weightloss.

So here went the checklist.

My former running buddy Dr. Skeete (hehehe) our schedules are hectic but I hope we can get back to our lovely jogs--great company and willing company! But she is moving away to Canada for a year--:(

Back to the gym---see above declaration

Walking on evenings---most of my friends make excuses...well the ones that I have asked so I can't wait on them sorry!   Except Stephie of course but our schedules collide.

Back to working out 3 days a week with personal trainer....would be GREAT but like I said I have to post separately about that meeting.

Dancing....I'm still skeptical about my back and leg flexibility since my injury flared up in 2008.

Pilates---YAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN

So here I was wondering what I was going to do to help.   I kept hearing about this "Zumba" and as with most things I ignored UNTIL I saw the informercial.  It has the few things I love--MUSIC---DANCING--FUN!

                                             SOURCE:www.zumbabrisbane.net

With some research I realised that my old gym for $10 a session twice a week, you can do zumba with a trained instructor.  So this is a month now I have been going to zumba and I won't lie to you I am hooked and feeling much better.  Flexbility is improving, arm muscles slowly but surely, legs coming.  It makes a world of difference.  And on top of that it is not the mundane predictable aerobics class.  The pace goes from level 1-4 but you never feel it because you are dancing.  The repetition of step helps to build and tone.

For those who have been living under the proverbial rock let me give you the official summary of what is ZUMBA.


Zumba is a Latin-inspired dance fitness program created by dancer and choreographer Alberto "Beto" Perez in Colombia during the 1990s.
Zumba involves dance and aerobic elements. Unlike a typical dance class where counts are used, Zumba involves following the music with repetitive movements. Zumba's choreography incorporates hip-hop, samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, martial arts and some Bollywood and belly dance moves. Squats and lunges are also included.
           Zumba exercises include music with fast and slow rhythms and resistance training for fitness and losing  
           weight.
           Source: wikipedia.org 


That is Zumba.  Many instructors incorporate of course recent calypso and Caribbean based steps to keep it current yet fun and still in line with the fundamentals of Zumba.

For persons like me who love to dance but want to lose weight and burn fat whilst doing it, this is the workout for you.  I've finally found something that works for me and I really hope I can find more Zumba classes to attend.  Each instructor puts their own spin on it so it's never predictable.

So Enjoy!!  Take up a class and get moving!

Now I must stop type because my arms hurt...seriously...now lemme just drag this pic in and ugh!

Bless
KKA....


2 comments: